In Illinois, property owners and business establishments have a duty to provide a safe environment for individuals on their premises. If you have been injured because a property owner or business establishment failed to provide a safe environment, you need to contact Donald W. Fohrman & Associates, Ltd., to determine if you have a potential claim against the property owner or business.
Business owners have the highest responsibility to the public that is invited into their premises to purchase something or use their services. Business owners have an absolute obligation to make sure their premises are free from defects and safe for the public as a whole. They not only have an absolute duty to warn the public of the defect(s), but the business owner also has a duty to repair any dangerous conditions which may exist on their property.
Our Chicago Slip and Fall Lawyers have considerable knowledge, experience and success in the handling of all types of cases involving Premises Liability including:
- Slip and fall accidents at commercial establishments caused by liquid or foreign substances. These cases usually involve situations where employees negligently allow fluids or foreign substances to remain on a floor for an extended period of time.Donald W. Fohrman & Associates, Ltd., has successfully represented clients in slip and fall cases against numerous supermarkets, convenient stores, department stores, office buildings, restaurants and shopping centers.
- Trip and fall accidents that are caused by unsafe property conditions. These cases typically involve situations where a landowner creates an unsafe condition in violation of a building code or a county regulation.For example, Donald W. Fohrman & Associates, Ltd., has obtained substantial settlements for clients injured when:
- A landlord failed to properly maintain a balcony railing in violation of municipal building codes.
- The City of Chicago, after being notified on several occasions, failed to repair a caved-in sidewalk.
Generally, the duty of a homeowner who has invited people into their home has an absolute duty to warn their guest(s) of any obvious defects which exist on the premises and of any hidden defects which, through a reasonable investigation could be found to exist on the premises. A typical example of this type of case which we have successfully handled over the years, is where a homeowner fails to inform their guest(s) that there are “loose boards” in the basement steps, and as a result, their guest(s) are injured in a fall.
- Accidents resulting from accumulations of ice and snow. In Illinois, the courts have consistently held that businesses and homeowners are not responsible to pay damages to individuals injured on their property as a result of “a natural accumulation of ice and snow.” However, if a business or home owner attempts to clear away snow from their property and does not do it properly or completely, thereby creating dangerous conditions, they would then be liable for any resulting injuries.
If you believe you have been injured because a property owner or the owner of a business establishment failed to provide a safe environment, please contact our office, anytime by dialing 800-437-2571. Call for a free consultation with a Donald W. Fohrman & Associates, Ltd., Chicago Slip and Fall Lawyer. We will evaluate the circumstances of your claim to determine if we can achieve successful results on your behalf. Or, if you prefer, use our convenient Do I have a case? submission form.